Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Few More Things

*Newsflash* ~ I got to see my husband for a few minutes this week. Yes, we're married and live together and yes, I'm being facetious. I know that probably too many couples feel the same way and that it's become a way of the American life, husbands and wives seemingly passing each other in the driveway. It feels like the two of us have been working harder than a couple of borrowed mules lately. He has a full time job in which he has been forced to work a LOT of overtime and I barely have a moment to call my own, running between home and the two shops. Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather be busy than sitting on the sofa trying to decide which TV show to watch next. We did have a few minutes to sit down and verbalize our schedules for the next few months and concluded that, between now and Christmas, things will probably only get busier for us. It looks like the new antiques mall that Robin (owner of Robin's Nest in Elizabethton) will be opening by the first of October. Eeegads, that's only two weeks ago and we've committed ourselves to yet another space (room) to fill. That means I need to figure out the display configuration and get enough items together to make it look cozy and inviting to buyers. Sounds easy enough, but it takes a lot of time to carefully clean antique glassware and linens, clean, repair and paint or polish old furniture, and repurpose good junk (aka do my trash-to-treasure items). This, plus taking care of our home and four parrots, cook meals, etc. But I truly do love it all. As I said...much better than sitting on the sofa... Just wanted to share a few of the things I'll be up to in the next few months. That said, here's a few more things I've done the last few days:

I might have told you that I needed to work on this chair. It's an old teacher's chair (or it could have been a young teacher's old chair...). After painting it black, I obviously painted a little primitive scene on it. The one I showed you a couple posts ago sold and I needed something similar to put in its spot.

If we have an item that has "sat" in either of the shops for any amount of time, we always shuffle it around. Strange, how certain items will sell in one shop but not the other and vice-versa. Anyway, we've had a couple bread boxes that have done nothing but sit. I showed you one last week. Remember? The one that revealed artwork when I started sanding it?

Well, here's another one. It was painted blue when we got it but evidently nobody (at least, nobody who has been into either shop) wanted a blue breadbox. So, I pulled out the paints for it..

And this is what it looks like now. Yep, I forgot to take the "before" pic again, but I'm sure you can picture this box without the flowers on it.

I took these pix, by the way, as these things were on their way out the back door and into my van so I feel lucky that I even remembered to photograph them.

Warning: Here comes another candleholder. Remember, I told you that I love making these?

Here's more proof that I do! This one is a little different in that I fastened an old dessert bowl to the top so it can hold candles, jewelry, or even candy. My neighbor asked me if it was a centerpiece. Hmmm. I guess it could be.

And, last but not least, here's an ironing board that can't be finished until the blue paint dries. I won't tell you what the remaining scene(s) will be, but will tell you that the color that goes on top of this blue is white. By the way, this old wood ironing board has been for sale for about two months so it's getting a new look.

Before I run off, I want to thank Margo for featuring me as Artist of the Week on her website. Now, this gal is a fantastic trash-to-treasure artist and I want to be just like her when I grow up. Here's her website: http://www.robomargo.com/trash.html If you haven't already been there, be sure you visit!

Off I go, but let me first tell you that I do appreciate your visit! Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Margo said...

Sher, That 3 projects from 1 chair has been a favorite of mine and I timed it so that you'd have the 3rd project done. I knew it wouldn't take you long. Now as for my mystery project, you are on the right track, but as always, I'll be adding my own twist to it. Be sure to check tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I love it all - especialy the chair.. it's giving me some ideas! LOL

NJT ;)

ps - I know - I know.. I have to 1st finish my other 2 chairs - OH and the blue ones too! :(