Monday, July 21, 2008

This Month's Giftaway, Passing an Award and a New Stove!

Okay, it's time for the July Giftaway prize packet reveal! (Where's the Vincent Price music, needed to make this announcement sound even a little dramatic?) BTW - for any "Newby" readers: To thank those of you who leave comments, I have a monthly Giftaway - drawn from the names of those who (ta-dah!) leave comments within that month. This month's package includes: this cute little vintage (?) apron (no, I didn't make it, this was an estate sale find!). Take a close look at this sweet thing - it's a four gore apron! I ask you, what woman of any decade would would take the time to stitch a four gore panel apron???? No, it's very obvious I didn't make this! Oops, sorry, I'm digressing still again. The package also includes this little resin bee and bee hive , , a handful of my scented handmade hang tags, a handmade bookmark and this altered tobacco tin that I made especially for the winner of this Giftaway. Anything else, you ask. Answer: Yes, but that's a surprise and will be sent with these items, not revealed until after the winner receives her/his package. It's also time to pass along the Furniture Whisperer Award I received from Margo. Who better deserving than Ki Nassauer? Congratulations, Ki, and thanks for all the inspiration you've given all of us! Remember my stove dilemna? (Remember when spellcheck didn't correct you for this spelling of dilemna????!!!!) Look what I finally got a few days ago! OMG, I LOVE it! No more cleaning those messy, awkward, goofy drip pans that were always beyond cleaning after one spill or over-boil, no more cooking on two (and then only one) burners. No more second-guessing how long it would take for my oven to over-bake. And look here: it's a convection oven, so it doesn't have one of those elements at the bottom that need to be carefully lifted and cleaned around! *Sigh*, I'm in cooking heaven. The only drawback that I see (so far) is that you're not supposed to can on these smooth top cooktops. Some say it's because of the weight of the pan and jars on the glass top, others say it's because of the amount of time the cook elements need to stay hot. Still others have told me that they use theirs for canning and have never had a problem. What does someone like myself, who does a TON of canning in the summertime do? Be thankful for our barbecue grill that happens to have a gas burner attached to the side. It does the trick and I'll happily trade the inconvenience of it for my new stove! (Still doing the happy dance!) And...my upholstery tutorial is basically finished. From the point I left you at last time, the only thing left on my particular chair is to trace the shape of the old cushion on a newspaper for a pattern (depending on the size, you may need to tape two pieces of newspaper together), buy a sturdy piece of foam large enough to accomodate your project, trim it off as needed (you may need to borrow an electric turkey carver - it's the easiest way to cut foam this large), cut and sew your cushion pattern, stuff it and you're done! Why haven't I posted a picture of my final chair? Uh...(clearing throat and blushing a little)...I keep forgetting to buy a piece of foam. Speaking of forgetting to post pictures (awkward segway, but it works), I forgot to post a pic of my newest flower potty. Here ya go: Before I go, I want to show you a picture of one of my gardening mistakes: Do you see what it is? These four o'clocks and gladioli are the same exact color. I love gladiolas/gladioli (whatever) and happened to grab a hand full of bulbs (color unknown at the time) and couldn't believe the coincidence. I keep telling myself that I will replant them in the fall, but they've been like this for eight years now. Before YOU go, be sure to leave a comment!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited but I'm still not sure what to do with the recognition. Help! This is only my 3 comment post ever. I am feeling excited but a little overwhelmed by everything. What a wonderful community I have joined!
Take care and thank you!

Ki

Marge of Emmas Nook and Granny said...

Hi Sher! I've been enjoying your blog for a few weeks. Just wanted to tell you that my town's annual August celebration is Gladiolus Days. Carl Fisher, who created many varieties of glads, spent most of his 91 years here. His acres of glads were gorgeous! You would have loved them!

Joy said...

I enjoy your visits to my blog. Thank you! As to your question about rub 'n buff...it comes in several metallic colors as well as black, white, and brown.

Jenn Thorson said...

The flowers look lovely-- hey, if nature brings us color coordinated plants, who are WE to separate them? :) I have so many flowers this year that have planted themselves. My tiny area of the backyard is a wilderness, and totally out of control, but it's pretty.

Looks like you have been one busy lady between the creations and that gleaming new stove.

Unknown said...

Ki, email me and I'll help you along!

Marge, thanks for that information! I'll have to look him up!

Joy, I'll definitely be looking for Rub & Buff! Thanks for the info!

Jenn, have you been tackling any more handmade stepping stones lately? ;)

Thanks to all of you for visiting and commenting! You've all been added to my Giftaway participants!

Janet C. Fish said...

Love your new oven! Congrats! Always nice to have good tools to do the job, whatever the job is.

Unknown said...

Hi, Janet! That stove was long overdue!!!! The funny thing is, though, that I've been so busy since I got it that I've done less cooking than on my old one...
Love,
Sher

Janet C. Fish said...

So, what're you doing for Thirsty Thursday?

LOL hahaha

Love, Janet

Michele said...

oooo that stove is to die for!!! And the giftaway looks fabulous...I so want one of your tins!!!

Hugz,
Michele

Cynthia Holt Ziemian said...

Very nice stove AND flowers! Loved the Potty Chair planter, too!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Lovely apron!
And I love your new stove. I completley understand the excitement. I was cooking on a 1960's avacado green cooktop and baking in a volcanic wall oven for almost 12 years.
When we finally gutted the kitchen and replaced appliances, I was in heaven! :)

Kimberly

Unknown said...

Michelle, Cynthia and Kimberly, thanks to all of you for your comments! It's so good to see you all here and I appreciate you stopping by. You're all entered in this month's drawing! Good luck!

Sher

Anonymous said...

Really like your new stove. I wish I had one. I bet it is easier to cook on the new stove. Really like the tins.
Have a nice day.
Pat

Joanne Kennedy said...

Hi,

Thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me over to join in your giveaway. I would love to! I can't get over all the wonderful things you have.

I love your blog and I'm off to read more.

Oh, I've added your giveaway to my blog.

Hugs,
Joanne

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Well, Hello, You Win,
I went and saw the before pics of your craft room, and I almost fell off my chair, it's that I really thought mine was terrible...No offense. :) Now I really want to see the after pics, so where do I go to see them? Thanks for visiting me and I'll be checking your blog. Also, while I'm here, can I enter your give away. I think the altered tin is awesome. I'm making some altered notebooks. It's fun !!! Thanks, warmly, Deb

Unknown said...

Thanks, Pat! I hope you check back August 1 in case you win the drawing (I noticed you don't have a blog). Good luck!

Joanne, welcome! I appreciate you adding my giftaway to your blog; I'll do the same!

Deb, ROFL!!!!! I've been working on it and haven't posted any pictures yet, but I will - I promise! I had a feeling that seeing my mess would make you feel a little better about yours! LOL!

Sher

Ki said...

Sher,
Margo said she'd help me figure out this bloggin thing this weekend so I think I'm good to go. Thanks again for the award!
Peace!
Ki

Anonymous said...

I am feeling so ridiculous. I had to write back...after posting my comment I realized I now had a line under my blue name and wasn't sure why. When I clicked on it it took me to my profile which I have working on for several days. I thought the profile was just for my own blog. My goodness I have more to learn than I thought!
See Ya,
Ki