Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Playing with Google Docs, Stupid Tuesdays and just plain rambling

Thanks to Suzy at the Backside of the Moon Primitives, I'm now playing with igoogle and Google Docs. My blog entry today is being written using Google Docs. I want to see if it's any easier to handle than writing directly to Blogger.

Today is what my hubby and I refer to as "Stupid Tuesday". He works at the Exide battery plant here in Bristol, and has a schedule of working three days on, two off - then two on and three off (12 hour days). It sounds a little complicated and is, at first. You get used to it. But a couple years ago, one of the unseen higher-ups (I'm presuming from the corporate offices) noted that workers had a few hours overtime every other week. The weeks without overtime were actually a little under the "normal" 40 hour work week. So, in an attempt to even out the hours and eliminate the overtime costs, the decision was made to have the employees work half a day every Tuesday. Confusing? There's more. Because there are different shifts involved, the shifts would rotate mornings and afternoons. Hubby's shift this week works this afternoon. Next Tuesday will be their turn to work in the morning. Thus, "Stupid Tuesday" was born in our home.

Well, as of today, I still haven't addressed the first Christmas card nor wrapped the first gift. There's a reason for the latter. I've yet to purchase the first gift, except for the very few little things I've purchased through the year, that is. The next few days around here are sure to be frenzied.

Today (this afternoon), I get to take my van to the van doctor. My check engine light just came on and I know a lot of people don't panic when this happens but I do. I have these visions of being out somewhere by myself and the engine exploding or something. We're planning on driving to Indiana for a few days and, given the storms they've had up north recently, don't want to take a chance on getting stranded somewhere between our driveway and my son's.

I've been having trouble lately with my blood sugar (I'm Type II diabetic) which explains a lot of my tiredness and basically being brainless as of late. The doc may have to tweak my Metformin to get me back on track. If you know someone who is diabetic and you've noticed this person is wandering away from his or her basic personality, have them check their glucose levels. You could actually be saving the person's life.

This blog is supposed to be a combination of trash-to-treasure experiences, combined with arts, crafts, antiques and some personal and family matters thrown in here and there. Have you noticed the absence of trash to treasure lately? (Gulp!) There's a reason for that. I haven't done any trash-to-treasuring for quite awhile. But I still have photos to share. They're just not mine! Check out what Barb has done: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2905192810100962245ERYKbp?vhost=home-and-garden

She says this is her way of being cheap. I prefer to think of it as being frugal as well as being smart.

Speaking of being frugal - I've listed a presser foot assortment on Ebay. They all fit a Singer. If you know someone with a Singer Sewing machine, please send 'em over to my listing. This is a GREAT deal, as some of these feet retail for over $20 each and I've started the bidding for the entire lot at $7. Here's the direct link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200184874256&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=010 I have a whimsical pinkeep up for bid, too. (Something else I love to make, pinkeeps) If you are still using one of those tomato things for your pins and needles, try either giving yourself a handmade pinkeep or make one for yourself. They're much more fun to use than tomatoes.

...and that's it for now, Kids! I have to sign off here and try to do something productive. Have a blessed week!

No comments: