Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Win for Me, A Win for You, A Bird Bug & A Dodo Bird

I had to show this off first! It's a gorgeous, beautifully designed and crafted pillow that I won by spinning the Make Mine Pink slot machine! The pillow is from Janets Creative Pillows! It soo reminds me of the beautiful florals and dresses in Hawaii. I just love it and appreciate all the work that went into every stitch! Many thanks to Make Mine Pink and to Janets Creative Pillows!
Speaking of Hawaii (did you like that segway?), I was in a mood the other day to do something creatively different, something with an underwater theme, something with melted WAX...and came up with this strange looking can. You know how you start out with something obscure and know what you want to do but have no idea what you want it to look like or how you're going to do it or what you're going to do with it once you've done whatever it is that you kind of had in mind?
Well, this is one of those projects. I think I accomplished the underwater theme and it definitely used a lot of melted wax. And, I actually like it. I'm not too sure what I'll do with it or where I'll put it. But, I really like that I found the cute little plastic fish with the big eyeball during my gathering process.
Last week was an exceptionally busy week. Ever notice that, during an exceptionally busy time, something major happens in your household that has to take priority over everything else? Our cockatoo, Bailey, got sick. He stopped eating, stopped playing, stopped talking and his stool droppings were discolored. This was reminding me too much of years ago when my children were little. He was definitely one sick birdy and if you don't know much about birds, rest assured that it doesn't take a long time for them to perish from dehydration or lack of nutrition.
Our feisty, strong-willed cockatoo had become relatively docile; he generally doesn't hold still for his checkups but didn't argue much about having a cold stethoscope pressed against his body and barely flinched when our vet, Gina Robinson, checked his nasal cavities and throat (...say "ahh-h-h-h...").
Blood and stool samples were taken. Thank Goodness he didn't have anything immediately life threatening, but he did have a nasty staph infection that we are treating with antibiotics and now he's back to his noisy, raucous, playful self.
This next picture probably looks very boring. Big deal, sheets on a clothesline, right? Wrong! It only took me a few short years of begging before Hubby finally got around to finding some laundry poles (that part happened early last summer) and getting them cemented into the ground (this happened last week). I celebrated by annointing the lines with just-washed bedding. Yaaaay! I've said it before, I'll say it again - It's the little things, Girls...
You've seen my win, my bird with his bug and now to reveal the dodo bird part of this post. Maybe I should call it dodo bird brain. See this cute little clothespin bag I made? Isn't it sweet? This is the front side...
(BTW, if you know me at all, you'll know the only time I use a pattern for anything is when I'm making clothes for myself or the grandkids.) ...and here's the reverse side...
Notice anything strange? Here's a hint: Do you see an opening for the clothespins? *sigh* Me, neither. An easy fix, but I still can't believe that I did that! Or, didn't do that, whichever way you want to look at it.
And finally, what you've REALLY been waiting to find out - the WINNER for my March Blog Giftaway is: MICHELE of Country Vintage! Michele is a great gal and a loyal commenter, just several of you and this is the first time she's won one of my Giftaways! So, congratulations, Michele and as for the rest of you, keep reading (I miss you when you don't come around) and commenting (I love to hear from you!).
Hugs and blessings,
Sher

6 comments:

Judy said...

A cute post!! Congrats to the March winner. I know how fun and wonderful your giveways are since I've been a luky winner. I'm so glad Bailey is feeling better.

Unknown said...

Hi Sher!

What a great surprise! So nice of you to mention me on your blog. I'm also sorry I missed your call. Thank you for taking the time to call and let me know you were happy with the dress pillow. I'm so happy you won. I love your underwater wax creation. How cute! And so happy that beautiful birdie is better. I used to have cockateels some years back. They are so precious. And love the giveaway you had. What a lucky lady.
Have a fantastic day,
xo
Janet Bernasconi
Janet's Creative Pillows

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Sher!!
Congrata's to Michele...I call her my Lil Sis..even though we are just blogging buddies..I adopted her, so to speak.
Glad that Bailey is better... :)
Hey, I asked for a lawn mower for my birthday...so a clothes line for you is great. I love to hang my sheets outside.
How fun for you to win:) the dress pillow.
Have a great week...weather is finally "normal" here. Hurray!!
Warmly,
Deb :)

Michele said...

Ooooo Sher...I'm doin the happy dance here! I'm so excited to win!!! Just tell me what I need to do!

I'm soooo glad Bailey is feeling better. He's so adorable!

Congrats on winning the pillow..it's beautiful!

Hugz...and thanks again!
Michele

Anonymous said...

That is so funny that you forgot an opening on the clothes pin holder- it sure is cute though! DH found a folding umbrella like clothes line out back and he put it up for me- I am loving hanging our clothes out again- haven't done that in years! I will have to find a cute clothes pin holder like you have!

KatCollects said...

Hi Sher,
I am glad that your bird is feeling better. Beautiful flower photos. I hope you are having a great week.
Kathy