Thursday, November 29, 2007

Some Updates, Some New Items and T2T!

Hi, everyone! I'm finally starting to get caught up on some things and let me tell you, it feels sooo good! First, an update on the Mrs. Paul's fish sticks: I sent an email w/a picture of the little guy you saw in my last post and they're sending me a coupon for a free box of fillets. I complained, they resolved the situation and I'm back to being a happy camper with them. Since I shared my complaint with you, it's only right that I should also make you aware that they took steps to "fix" the problem. Becky, the Trash-to-Treasure (T2T)gal I met on the HGTV boards received my box of ornies Monday. I thought I was the last one, but she's waiting on one another to arrive before she mails everyone's package out. Just thought I'd let you know that I haven't forgotten my promise to post pix of all the goodies. Below is a picture of a kitchen Christmas tree that I just put together. Look closely and you'll see that I recycled everything: I generally buy Christmas decorations after the holiday at savings anywhere from 30 to 80% off. This tree is one I purchased several years ago but never used. So, this year I decided to sit it inside an old ceramic coffee container that didn't have a lid and decorate the branches with kitchen-y items, tied on with strips of scrap fabric. Old forks and spoons add some sparkle and dried orange slices and cinnamon sticks add a nice fragrance as well as interest. Also included is an old ceramic gravy spoon (pretty, but no real value), some fake tomatoes, pears and other fruit that I've stored for years along with an old cookie cutter, some recipe cards and a few bells here and there. All in all, I think it makes for a cute little tree. And how's this for another way to recycle drawers as well as save yourself some dollars? This old sled was missing a slat when we got it. My hubby found this (huge!) old drawer in someone's trash. He brought it home because he wanted the hardware, but I told him to save the wood, as it is real wood, not pressed board. When I showed him the old sled, he immediately thought about the drawer and knew he could form a new board for it. The sled boards and the drawer wood was the same thickness. He cut the board, stained it and attached it. Good as new! This red sled needs a cross board for steering. He'll use wood from the same drawer for it! There will still be plenty of wood left over. See that drawer track running across the middle (below). We'll keep that in tact to fix another chest or dresser that has a broken or missing track. The thinner plywood that is the drawer bottom will be used to replace another that is broken or cracked and the front of the drawer? Why, that's mine, of course, to use when I need to make more peg boards for coats. And finally, here's a bobbin-topped angel I just completed today. She's holding a wooden block that I painted to look like a book. An old brooch is fastened to the front of her tie belt to act as a buckle. Her underskirt is eyelet that peeks out from under her dress. I love the cute little primitive angels in the print. Her hair is from a friend's llama. They have to be trimmed every summer for health reasons, just as sheep do. I love working with llama hair; it's so soft and closely resembles human hair when attached to a doll. I needle-felted the hair to her scalp. As you do your Christmas shopping, I encourage you to look for products that are handmade. Support your local craftspeople and artists; you can pretty well rest assured that our creations won't poison your home with lead. As usual, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by! I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that you'll visit again in a few days!

3 comments:

Sondra said...

Ooh, I'm LOVING your kitchen. I must put one of those together!

Sondra said...

Ooops! That was supposed to say kitchen tree! Although, I'm sure your kitchen is fabulous - just don't have time to put one together - haha!

Unknown said...

LOL, Sondra! Let me know how your tree turns out! And share pix of your new kitchen, too, if you get a chance to tackle it!